Topband: AMRAD weighs in on BPL

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 09:17:21 EDT 2003

>BTW it also does not help that
>several spelling and editing errors crept into the
>AMRAD filing.

Wasn't there a recently published memo from someone at the FCC or NTIA that
was full of typos and spelling errors?  I notice the same thing in many of
the comments on file.  I believe this does hurt the effectiveness of the
effort, leaving the impression that the person is too careless to bother
proofreading the document or too ignorant to see the errors.

>Personally, I see the need to stress that much of HF
>comms consist of weak-signal work... I think that
>the vulnerability of weak-signal work cannot be over-
>emphasized, and that is exactly what I told FCC.
>...went on to draw strong comparisons between
>DXing/contesting and emergency HF comms, many
>provided directly by hams in times of disaster. They also
>pointed out that HF comms from an airliner over the middle
>of the ocean might well be drowned out in the BPL din.

Also, the SIGINT (signal intelligence) and ELINT (incidental electrical
radiation intelligence) communities ought to be concerned, since much of the
military and civilian intelligence gathered worldwide, sponsored by the
governments of all nations, is gleaned from weak signals monitored over HF.
When I was in the military during the Viet-nam era, there were U.S.
monitoring posts all over the world, including several in the contintental
US.  I suspect many of them are still in operation.

Since NTIA effectively quashed the proposed 60m ham band, maybe they will
also put a damper on BPL.  The only problem is the big bucks behind the
latter.  To get an idea of how thoroughly the BPL lobby is entrenched
worldwide, view the following URL and the links contained therein:

                                        http://www.plugtek.com/index.shtml

Don K4KYV