Topband: (no subject)

SteamBoilers at aol.com SteamBoilers at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 04:30:51 EDT 2003

"No tower is zero ohms from top to bottom, other wise it would be a
superconductor"

I seem to have lost the plot, the voltage across the 15 foot gamma match
relates to a small fixed percentage of the 140 feet tower. The point to ground
where the gamma match is fitted is run in one inch copper pipe which in effect
puts this pipe and the gamma copper pipe in parallel with the tower legs over
this 15 foot section.  The voltage across the coaxial cable to the station is
reduced by the air gap in the wide spaced capacitor and due to spark gaps at
both ends of the buried coaxial cable. The equipment failure Tom describes sounds
more like problems at the station end grounding allowing unequal voltage
build up across the earth system at the shack end.
    I have had television, modem / computer, phone and even light bulb
failure but thankfully no radio gear failure to date with a grounded tower. That
cannot be said with insulated vertical and dipole systems where I forgot to throw
 the coaxial cables as far as I could throw them out of the house in storm
conditions.

Regards

Alan Downing

G3ZES