Topband: BOG...

Charles Hutton charlesh3 at msn.com
Sun Dec 7 20:17:40 EST 2003

The impedance drops greatly as the wire approaches ground. If your Beverage
actually lies on ground, it's likely to have an impedance of around 200
Ohms. On grass / shrubs /etc it will likely be a bit over 300 Ohms,
depending on your soil of course. I choose to ignore the lower impedance and
use my normal 450 Ohm transformers. I don't feel the slight signal loss
hurts me at all.

FYI: the velocity factor also drops greatly, making the antenna appear much
longer than it really is. That narrows the bandwidth and lowers the
elevation angle of peak response. BOG's can easily appear 25 - 50% longer
than their elevated counterparts.

Chuck