Topband: Insulated Tower

Joe Wilkowski k8fc at k8fc.com
Mon Dec 8 21:42:01 EST 2003

Ok guys, I have donned the flame retardant suit and I am ready for the onslaught so here it comes.

I have a number of sections of Rohn 25 that I want to use for a vertical radiator.  Being frugal, I do not want to spring for insulators to go at the base of the tower.

So I am giving this much thought when much to my surprise I come up with this idea.  I will dig a 3 X 3 foot hole and fill the bottom with about 8" of concrete and let it set up. Once it is dry, I will lower a 10 section into the hole and rest it on top of the cured cement.  Next I will plumb the tower and fill the rest of the hole with concrete and let that set up.  Now, in my minds eye, that tower will, by virtue of the insulating properties of the concrete, be isolated from ground and provide an excellent insulated base for the rest of the sections.

Is there someone out there that has empirical data on this ?  IE: insulating properties of fully cured concrete at 1.8 MHz ?

Thanks in advance, please feel free to load up the flame throwers.

/joe k8fc