Topband: Listening

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Dec 9 09:46:33 EST 2003

> As a partial solution I am able to select more than one beverage at a
time,
> and then "peal " them back if need be.
> John K9DX

John, I wonder how you do that?

When I do that, all it does is move nulls around. Some stations vanish and
others appear. This happens even when I combine at audio from two receivers.

The only way I can successfully listen in multiple directions is with one
radio in each ear, and a different antenna on each radio. Of course this
costs me a few dB in S/N ratio over everything in the same direction, even
in stereo.

Fisher W4AN normally does that here in contests, using a low directivity
antenna in a general direction and a high directivity antenna towards DX,
but never mixed. Always in separate ears. Mix them, and I still find deep
nulls.

73 Tom