Topband: 160M yagi at 450'

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Fri Dec 12 00:01:35 EST 2003

The Stew is just around the corner.  Some buddies and I are looking into a real bonanza this year.  We found a lake in Minnesota (frozen solid) that is an old 121 acre iron mine that is now flooded and frozen.  It is 450' deep.  We are looking into the possiblity of laying wire elements on the ice to form either a multi-element yagi or possibly a W8JK arrangement.

Does anyone have experience with antennas laying on frozen fresh water?  I would suspect the VP to be lower than just wire, but other than that, can we expect to obtain performance from an antenna laying on the surface of fresh water?

The operation would include a warm fish house located right at the feedpoint of the antenna with elements laying on the ice appropriate distances away.

When modeling such an animal, if that is even possible, what factors should be compensated to adjust for the unusual media at the antenna?

Any incite would be greatly appreciated.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com