Topband: phased flags

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 16:07:34 EST 2003

Ron, I've done this.

200 foot spacing is a bit short, 275 feet would
provide optimun rejection of locally generated noise,
315 feet for 30° rejection. 200 will give only
marginal improvement over a single flag (on 160).

I would not bother with a "UN-UN", the mismatch loss
will be so small, you won't notice the difference. Do
it because it makes you feel good, not because you
need to! I used a spliter/combiner and a simple "T"
with equal success.

You will need about 25 to 30 dB of gain to bring the
level up to most other antennas. I wouldn't use more
than 20! Use a preamp with very high 3IPo. Don't use
one that depends on a input filter for IMD
performance.

Performance on 80 and 40 will be disappointing at best
due to spacing being too wide on those bands. (Been
there, done that)

I was very pleasd with the performance of my two flags
at 275 foot separation on 160. Wider spacing was worse
than a single flag despite what the computer runs
suggested.

73,

Larry - W7IUV