Topband: DX window

Bert Barry kimba at sprint.ca
Tue Dec 30 09:39:16 EST 2003

Ron Feutz wrote:

> >In a mail to the list yesterday, K1GUN (aka KA1PE) states "Hi People, In
> >my humble opinion,unless fcc with input from arrl doesn't come out and
> >make a hard and fast rule defining the "DX WINDOW" what ever that may be
> >we are constantly going to be at odds where the heck it is...or."
> >
> >The bottom line is that I agree that the "window," where ever it is
> >located is and should be by gentleman's agreement.

I agree completely with the last statement.  Contrary to what many Americans
seem to think, the FCC has no authority outside the US.  If the DX window is by
'Gentleman's Agreement',  I will observe it!   If it is mandated by the
American FCC, I will have no obligation to observe it, and will feel  legally
and morally permitted to operate there.  I'm not saying I would, and I probably
would not.  But you see the point.  And this would apply to all other NA
stations outside the US.
A Gentleman's Agreement is the only way to go.

Bert,  VE3QAA