Topband: To Balun or not to Balun that is the question.

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 09:45:07 EST 2003

>From: "i4jmy at iol.it" <i4jmy at iol.it>

>>By the way, depending the diameter of the coil, line lenght, and coil
>>position, I'm afraid those 6 turns are not enough to have a good choke on
>>20m.
>Expecially in cases where a choke is not on a current node, 10 ten times
>ratio between reactance and 50 Ohm doesn't make at all a good one.
>Somewere I've seen claimed only 6 turns over 4" is a good choke for 20m,
>while it's not.

It depends on what you are using the balun for.  I found 6 turns to be
effective on 40m. in the shack between transmitter and ant changeover relay.
  I had an rf feedback problem on that band, that wouldn't go away no matter
what (copper ribbon ground strap, 1/4L ground radials under the floor, rf
chokes, bypass caps, etc).  The 6-turn balun cured the problem immediately.

Don K4KYV