Topband: To Balun or not to Balun that is the question.

i4jmy at iol.it i4jmy at iol.it
Wed Dec 31 15:31:38 EST 2003

Unless a small reduction of RF energy fixed the problem, for example lowering the voltage just under a semiconductor threshold, hardly those 6 turns works like an effective choke at 7 Mhz.
Only chance is when parasitic capacitance of the coil skyrokets reactance because resonance of the coil goes very close to the used frequency. In such a case the coil made of cable acts as a trap, beeing this the method to choke efficiently at a voltage node.
More probably you fixed the problem altering the cable lenght, or by collapsing the line in the coil, or by legnhtening the coax for adding the 6 turns choke.

73 & HNY
Mauri I4JMY