Topband: Inverted L : what is the optimal vertical to horizontal ratio ???

Doug Waller NX4D at comcast.net
Sun Feb 2 12:32:04 EST 2003

> You really never get both polarizations. Any antenna that does not
> specifically transmit a circular time-rotating wave transmits a single
> polarization in any given direction.
>
> You see that on Eznec as a mix of two polarizations, because they are
> showing only H and V component, but is actually is a SINGLE tilted wave
with
> a NULL 90  degrees from the polarization peak.
>
> 73 Tom

Wow, this opens up a new can of thought for 2003, at least for me !

Are you saying a completely separate vertical antenna and horizontal
antenna, fed so that we still have the same phase & amplitude relationships
as seen in the inverted L antenna elements, produce two separate waves that
combine into a single tilted wave?

Would this have anything to do with power line noise being received
vertically polarized, even though the power lines that transmit them are
horizontal?  What would prevent two random waves, one horizontal, one
vertical, from combining at some distant point, becoming coherent, refusing
to separate back into two waves, or do the two waves have to be generated
from within the same near field to permanently integrate?

And how about using fast spin, circular time-rotating waves on 160m for xmit
and receive?  If this were practical to do, electroncally time-varying the
amplitude & phasing to a vertical and two horizontal dipoles, could we not
eliminate the reception of most man-made and naturally occuring QRM & QRN?

73,  Doug / NX4D