Topband: Inrad 100Hz filter for the FT1000MP (revised)

Steve Ireland sire at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 9 14:43:20 EST 2003

Hi Bill - made a mistake in the first version - please could you post the
version below instead?  Vy 73,
Steve, VK6VZ

G'day all

Here in Western Australia, with only Mike VK6HD and I regularly active on
160m, there is not much of a problem with lots of strong local signals (!)
and the reason for fitting really narrow filters on a transceiver/receiver
is to improve the signal/noise ratio on very weak DX signals.

Currently, my Yaesu FT1000MP is fitted with the stock Yaesu 500Hz crystal
filter in the 8.215MHz IF and the accessory Collins 500Hz mechanical filter
in the 455KHz IF.  For very weak signal work, I am wondering if I would get
a useful/noticeable increase in signal/noise ratio by fitting an Inrad
100Hz filter (in the 455KHz IF)?

I would also be interested in any opinions about also fitting the Inrad
250Hz filter, for similar signal/noise improvement reasons, and in
improving the signal/noise ratio using other filters (i.e also substituting
a narrower filter in the 8.215MHz IF).

Any figures regarding the approximate practical improvements I could expect
would also be useful - and I am sure would be of interest to other FT1000MP
users on the reflector.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ