Topband: Re: Stew Perry and ARRL 160 CW Contest fronm vk3io

Ron Tremayne VK3IO vk3io@iinet.net.au
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:31:51 +1100

Hello Topbanders,

Well my first Stew Perry participation, it was very tuff, with static
averaging S9, and propagation was zero to NA east coast and only two  qso's
to the west (W6BH and N5IA).

Nothing even heard from the Carrabian, South America, Africa ot the pacific
(except for a KH6ND), so that does not leave much of the globe left.

Japan was good and europe not too bad, with only one new country worked, who
was GM3POI (cannot believe I have'nt worked someone from there before, but
that is what the log showed).

Did miss out on 5B4AGN, who was a good S7, but he did not hear me and also
HG3M was good, but no QSO.

I seem to think with recent receive antenna developments, many sations are
using beverages or directional receive antennas and not listening for VK
 and why would you in a contest, there is only a few of us 'extreme'
operators bashing our heads against the 'static - proverbial brick wall').

Not much local activity, except for VK6VZ and VK6HD (who were never as
strong as they usually are) due mainly to the static from our summer storms
(there also was a cyclone in the southern pacific).

 Those of you who recall the apparent great opening of 97 know how
unpredictable the band is, as I did experience only late last year in the
ARRL 160 CW contest.

After spending the day doing some antenna work and coming inside just after
sun set (1100Z) it was to my great surprize to find the band full of great
S9 plus signals to NA.

The band on our Saturday evening was the best I have ever experienced, with
many stations S9 plus 20db and more and signal continueing to come in for
hours, east coast, central and west coast, VE1,2,3, 6 and 7.

If NA states were seperate countries, like the european continent is
relative to NA we would have worked our DXCC in one evening.

The following evening, our Sunday, was well down, with only the big guns
being heard.

Strangely, I never heard anyone from the Carrabian or South America.

The day's preceeding this contest, the band was poor and the day's following
the contest the band was also poor.

So you just never know, you just have to keep getting up early and check out
the band each night, if your crazy enough (or not married or don't plan to
stay married) and dissregard the Sun Spot figures.

Till next time (in the CQ WW 160 Contest)

73's from Ron vk3io@iinet.net.au