Topband: terrain effects

Ragnar Otterstad otterstad at enter.vg
Fri Jan 24 07:37:16 EST 2003

My Montana QTH is a river bottom surrounded by mountains.  To my NE and SW,
the terrain "masks" the horizon up to 16 degrees.  To the NW and SE (along the
valley), the masks are only up to about 10 degrees.  My old QTH in Idaho was
much worse with terrain masks between 12 and 22 degrees all around the
horizon.

I am in a similar situation, with hills North and South , mostly at abt 20
degs.  I never get reply on the first call in a pile up  !!!   BUT I do get
through - using a Titanex V160 vertical with 20 odd length radials on the
ground- presently burried under snow.

73

Rag Otterstad    LA5HE also JW5HE OZ8RO
located in Telemark - home of skiing.

My antenna "farm" can be found on HTTP://no.photos.yahoo.com/la5he when you
click on  Radio.

Take a look at: http://WWW.visitTelemark.com

or  http://www.visitnorway.com