Topband: 160 Contest

Major Ron majrabsr at rconnect.com
Mon Jan 27 18:49:26 EST 2003

After the installation of the new transmitting vertical, I've been told that
my signal improved dramatically. With the prior installation of the Beverage
antennas, I was all set for the contest, or so I thought.

After beginning the contest and running from the lower edge to the last
signal I was able to copy, I switched over to the Beverages to listen for
weaker signals. NOTHING! A quick run outside revealed that the wires had
broken on both Beverage antennas. I surmise it was due to the flexing of the
supports I used. Anyway, at a high temperature of around +5F, it was far too
cold to do anything about it.

In spite of that, the band conditions in SW MN led to an enjoyable contest.
Not the score I was expecting, but reasonable in light of the antenna
failures.

I really MUST find stiffer supports for the Beverages.

Thanks to those I worked.

73,
Ron, KA9ALC