Fw: Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jan 29 20:09:35 EST 2003

 > How so?  Pse explain.   The FCC can regulate commercial manufacture and
> sale
 > of amateur gear, but I am unaware of any restrictions on the gear we USE
 as
 > long as it transmits a signal that falls within the technical
requirements
 > in part 97.

 97.307a
97.307b
97.307c

 b is the most restrictive. It says we are not allowed to have any spurious
emissions including splatter and clicks (they specifically mention splatter
and clicks) that cause interference. Doesn't say any place at all that some
splatter or clicks are acceptable, or that -40dB means we can bother people.

The most restrictive rule always applies independently of any other rule,
just like traffic laws.

Some radios pass FCC spurious emission requirements NOT related to
modulation until an amplifier is used, then they fail. That's because at
1500 watts spurs must be -45dB, not -40 like at 500w and lower.

How many radios can you find in reviews that have better than -40dB mean
power suppression of spurious products on SSB, or -45 when running 1500
watts?? It is legal to sell those radios, but technically illegal the moment
they cause a problem.