Topband: K9AY Loops

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Thu Jul 24 18:44:37 EDT 2003

> I'm considering putting up some K9AY loops about 750 feet SW from my 160
> delta loop as supplemental RX antennas to the beverages RX antennas and
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) Any ideas as to how well they should work for in band SO2R (TXing on
> topband while simultaneously RX a few kc away). Can sort of do it with
> the beverages on 80m, but no way on 160m - but the Beverages ARE much
> closer than 750 feet.
>
> 2) How high up in freq will they work?? I use my Beverages occasionally
> as the way up to 10 meters - how about the K9AY Loops??
>
> 73
> Ted KT1V

Ted,

1) You should be able to do in-band RX with the loops, but at the cost of
some sensitivity. Without a preamp, the loops are approx. 15-20 dB down in
signal level from a typical Beverage.  Be sure the loop is pointed away from
the TX antenna (null toward the TX ant.) for further interference reduction.
I am aware of one M/M station that has installed the 4-way K9AY loops as far
as possible from the TX antenna (1000 feet or more).

2) The loop has a little F/B as high as 40M. Above that it will pick up
signals like any chunk of wire, but directivity will be minimal.

73, Gary
K9AY