Topband: Ground screen

Fred Jensen k6dgw at foothill.net
Sun Jun 15 17:41:00 EDT 2003

Scott:

The primary purpose of the ground radial system is to return the ground
currents to the feedpoint with as low a loss as possible.  Thus, the #1
first order rule is "more radials are better."  Current magnitude tends
to increase as you approach the base of the antenna, thus the #2 first
order rule is, "more short ones are better than a few long ones, if
that's your tradeoff."  There are a multitude of second and higher order
"rules."

Ground screens are a lot of work, and I'm not qualified to assess their
value over radials quantitatively, but I can tell you that every AM
broadcast station I ever worked for, or saw, used radials.  So does the
USCG at Loran-C stations (meny watts at 100KHz)

I have no advice for you on what will last 40 years buried in the
ground.

73,

Fred, K6DGW
Auburn CA