[Fwd: Re: Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results]

Dave Heil k8mn at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 04:42:31 EDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:40:53 +0000
From: Dave Heil <k8mn at earthlink.net>
To: k6se at juno.com

k6se at juno.com wrote:

> At 100 Hz BW regardless of the xtal filter selected, the Orion's NR was
> ineffective.

>... let me just say that I am of the genre that
> believes in what he hears on the air when evaluating a receiver.  I > also believe in lab test results, but I mostly believe that the final > proof always lies in how the receiver performs in the real world.

I believe in what I hear on the air as well, Earl.  Rather than take
your word for it, I found several of the weakest signals I could find on
20 and 40m this evening--the kind of signals which are nearly covered in
noise and which aren't moving the S-meter.  I cranked the Orion's
bandwidth down to 100z and tried various levels of DSP noise reduction.
They all produced better copy than without the DSP processing.  In fact,
they made for nearly 100% copy of signals which were not 100% without
the processing.  What could account for our differing results?

Dave Heil K8MN