Topband: 160 Meters Mobile Antenna Suggestions

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Tue May 6 22:37:27 EDT 2003

I'm in the process of installing an Icom-IC706MK2G transceiver
in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck. I intend to operate
HF, MARS, and hopefully some on 160 Meters.

I've purchased Hamstick fiberglass whips for most HF bands, and
am pleased with their performance. I cannot afford one of the
screwdriver type antennas nor an automatic antenna tuner, so
would like to homebrew an antenna for use on 160 Meters.

My current mount is a stainless trailer hitch mount, mated
with a 3/8 connector. The coax is low loss RG-8 ran about
ten feet into the cab, through the rear firewall.

The hitch is also grounded with 1/2" copper braid to the
frame of the vehicle.

In a perfect world, I'll use the same antenna for AM BCB DXing
while on my lengthy drives at night. I've got some 102 inch
fiberglass and stainless steel whips with the standard 3/8
inch mount, so I'd thought about adding a base loading coil
for use with one of these.

Any tips, ideas, and suggestions greatly appreciated.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film