Topband: Toploading question

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Thu May 29 11:15:37 EDT 2003

Dave,  The 3/16 EHS  will work just fine to form a capacity hat. There
will be some cancellation of  effectiveness depending upon the guy wire
angle of declivity. However, you can buy most of this back by connecting
a perimeter wire to each 20' section at the insulators.  I have not
modeled this but was introduced to this idea in the 60's by a well known
BC antenna consultant, John Mullaney. (Mullaney and Associates) This
method was used at KQRS in Minneapolis where I used to work.  I recall
that by installing the perimeter wires the base impedance increased by
12 ohms. I think the practice is well worth the effort as there is
little cost involved for the benefits received.  However this means of
top loading is not in widespread use with top banders although it is
really a simple way to buy some efficiency with top loaded towers.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ