Topband: One wavelength Beverage

R. Kline rikik at inter.net.il
Sat Oct 18 10:01:08 EDT 2003

All of my 5 Beverages are BOG.  The best wire for this is 2 conductor
military field telephone wire.  Each conductor has about half the strands
made from steel and the other half are copper - all suitably plated.  It is
extremely rugged stuff and holds up well.  In Israel, it is occassionally
found in scrapyards where I've bought a kilometer drum of the stuff (new)
for a pittance.  Besides its strength, another nice thing about this wire is
that by shorting the 2 conductors at the far end, it is possible to check
the continuity with an Ohm meter from the feed end.

I don't believe that this is a compromise antenna for terrain such as mine.
My QTH is on a rocky mountain top with very poor soil conductivity. Of
course there is capacitance to ground.  Some of my BOGs are unterminated,
and others are terminated.  Those that are terminated use a 200 ohm resistor
to a quarter wave wire just laying on the ground. I use the 1/4 wave wire
termination because of low ground conductivity and the impossibility to
drive in a ground rod - they always hit underground rocks.  My experience
has been that the unterminated BOGs have excellent F/B. Receiving from the
fed end direction is down at least 2 or 3 s-units.  I can't properly explain
why this is so, but I expect that it is because of the low impedance and
losses. (the usual references predict only about a 3 dB difference). My gut
feeling is that in my particular QTH, there is no significant advantage in
terminating the BOG.

Besides its simplicity, this is a rather stealthy antenna.  From my house
with a small yard, the BOGs go out into the surrounding  public area.  Two
of them cross roads, so I have buried the wire a few inches beneath the
(gravel) road.
I've also buried more extended lengths - about 100 feet in order to hide the
wire from view.

Although a raised Beverage would be more efficient, the BOG is sufficiently
efficient.  They always pass the "acid test" - even when the band is quiet:
When they are disconnected from my FT-1000D, the background noise reduces
significantly. Normally I don't require using my FET preamplifier.  When I
do, the antennas still pass the test.

73,
Riki, 4X4NJ