Topband: Critters Eating Coax

Keith Jillings keithj at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Sep 11 16:46:15 EDT 2003

K1ZM at aol.com wrote:

> So, I will probably go the PVC conduit route - it is EASY to pass RG213
> through it as long as the PL259's are off the cable and the various sections can
> either be taped or PVC glued together - very EASY to make this one work - just
> takes time.

If the PVC conduit is the same type as is sold here, you can buy "collars" that
are a push-fit to join sections, with a central flange to hold the conduit in
position.   There are also right-angle bends, inspection elbows, and all sorts.
   A few drops of superglue, and it's all solid.

I had similar problems with the squirrels here.   The solution was the 12-bore
shotgun.   Unfortunately, that didn't deal with the mice, who were much more
elusive but did more damage.   The cat solved that one.

One I rather fancied trying was to treat the inside of the conduit with Nitrogen
Triiodide (NI3).   Avoids repeat attacks by any individual critter.

Keith
--
Keith Jillings
G3OIT   GW3OIT   G-UTSY at EGMC