Topband: Beverage measurements

jbattin jbattin at msn.com
Tue Sep 16 06:27:23 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "jbattin" <jbattin at msn.com>
To: "Bill Tippett" <btippett at alum.mit.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage measurements

  I think one of things a stagger does is to not only phase the beverages
but
 phase the vertical feeds to also null their pick-up in a given direction. I
 think JI phases some of his beverages to get rid of Florida QRN. My
comments
 on S/N ratio speaks to omni directional noise. It doesn't really take a
 computer to get a feel of what is going on.  If the forward lobe is 36
 degrees, a 10x (or 10db) front to side/rear ratio will yield about equal
 noise from the front lobe and the rest of the directions. If you have 16 db
 front to side/rear ... then the front lobe noise will dominate the other
 noise by 6 db.

  My 9 element array has 30 - 40 db rejection off the side and rear.  There
 are a few times ..... and few is the word... that it makes a practical
 improvement on QRN ...  it often makes an terribly unusable band just
 unusable. In your case, where there is a consistent direction for the noise
 and the noise is of such a level  that a 20 db. improvement will make the
 band functional, it sounds promising.  These issues are not a matter of few
 db. one way or the other. It takes tens of db's to get something you can
 hear.
 John