Topband: Beverage measurements

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Sep 16 07:53:39 EDT 2003

> (i.e.echelon)?  My greatest noise problem is often thunderstorms
> from the South-Central US when trying to listen toward Europe.

A deep null is necessary only if there is a very strong noise in the null
area.

I find the Echelon arrangement not especially helpful because there is
little QRN at ~235 degrees.

Instead, I pick a element length and spacing that has very deep nulls
towards Florida. When I watch the lightning  maps, most frequently storms
are over Florida. The closer Florida storms are also very much louder here
than anything from Central America, plus it helps reduce QRM from a SSB net.

73 Tom