Topband: T loaded vertical

rmf01 rmf01 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 13:01:01 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

    I'm new to topband. Recently got on with a coaxial L at 55 feet and I'm sure that it's no surprise to all that the performance is mediocre, although I have worked 23 countries.

    Thinking about erecting in it's place a T loaded vertical and wonder if you have any suggestions on calculating the dimensions of the T if used with a 55 foot or hopefully a 60 foot radiator. The T would have to be partially strung through tree branches. Is a single wire radiator sufficient?

  Finally, any suggestions on a matching? If it comes out at ~20 ohms can I direct feed with the RG213 that is in place and use the tuner in the shack or is it best to construct an L/C circuit at the base?

                    Tnx,

                               Rich  W1TSP