Topband: T loaded vertical

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Mon Sep 22 18:19:49 EDT 2003

Rich,  Try to get the current loop to appear at the connection to the
flat top T.  This can be done by modeling or in the old days we would
just tape a small 6 volt bulb on a loop at the T. While running just
enough power at night to get the bulb to illuminate, keep pruning the
wire until you get the maximum illumination. When you finally go QRO the
light will burn out and you won't have the neighbors calling 911 because
of the flashing light they see in the sky. This will require raising and
lowering the wire ends at night and  if you have a forest of trees may
not be a feasible means of tuning your T to maximum performance. Try to
keep the flat top wires equal in length

 If you have a 60 foot vertical drop a 75 foot to 80 foot each side of
the T connection should work well as a starting point if you plan to
tune it in the field. Even a smaller flat top will also work if you are
prepared to deal with the increased reactance and lower feed point
resistance at the base.  However it is best to match the feed point with
a simple L network and put down as many radial as possible.  I have
found this out to be true, that a well designed T design always beats an
inverted L for a long angle DX path. I believe this is due to the
cancellation of much of the horizontal radiation component .

I hope this information will help you.

73

Herb, KV4FZ