Topband: T loaded vertical

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Sep 23 11:41:23 EDT 2003

Tod,  I should have been more specific.  Top loading with a T type
marconi with a short vertical 60 foot down lead can be peaked to
reasonable performance with a 75 foot (each side of center) flat top
with the method I described. (If I recall the modeling done on this a
longer flat top has a slightly lower take off angle and off course a
higher feed point impedance.)      Yes Earl is right about the current
maximum always appearing 1/4 wave from each end.  Yet I have found that
a shorter flat top can be a terrific performer on top band as long as
care is taken to match the feed point at the base.  (W8UVZ and K8GG
worked JA's from my QTH with only this type of antenna during the CQ 160
meter Contest a few years ago.)

The marconi T is a superb DX limited space antenna for 160 meters
especially in restricted space circumstances.  It is also a relatively
efficient antenna as long as radials (in the ground or above the ground)
are employed.

73

Herb, KV4FZ