Topband: Topband QRN

Steve McDonald jsm at gulfislands.com
Mon Sep 29 22:46:47 EDT 2003

An annoying topband QRN problem for the past 2 months has finally been
traced to a neighbor's TV switching supply. It appears that the QRN source
is being radiated out and along the common powerline into the street where
the noise is  e-probed and re-radiated by my 50' tower. My receive loop
couples into the field radiated by the tower all too effectively!
Is it possible to choke the QRN at the TV power cord? Would a large ferrite
J core wrapped with as many turns of the power cord be effective in
eliminating or attenuating this signal at its source?

Any hints appreciated.

Steve / VE7SL