Topband: Red October

W7lr at aol.com W7lr at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 16:47:40 EST 2004

        This is about the chase for 3B9C on 160m from MT.  Out here in MT &
WY we read about how loud they are from the east coast or in AZ.  We all have
our own definition of a black hole - I think that we may be in one, such as
with VK0IR, in this case too far west in our evening and too far east in our
morning without worrying about the meaning of antipodal or skew paths.

       I don't have multiple Beverage antennas, but do have a 500 foot one
that I can switch between what I'll call short or long path (towards EU or ZL).
I'll be fortunate if either direction is optimum, but those directions make a
big difference in their signal for either morning or evening.   By this time
in the expedition there is no dark path in either our evening or morning
although there is a little hope in evenings.  On 80m their signal is good both times
and they are workable either period, at around 0143z or 1336z.  On 160m I've
heard them 339 twice, 25 March and again 1 April, between 0146z and 0156z, but
never any copy on 160m in our mornings.

       Why the message title, Red October?  It was coined for this occasion
by Gene KB7Q and fits well.  He was recently camping near Yuma AZ, and with his
battery powered 100 watt rig and a modest vertical attached to his camper,
worked about 35 countries and WAC on 160m, and heard two countries that I have
never heard even with my 205 countries worked.  He is back home now on his city
log here in Bozeman MT and wants to know how my hunt for Red October is going
(not well).
This color also fits our red eye tem of Bill NE9Z in nw WY and myself, who
spell each other off for red eye schedules, although we don't need that this
time.  Bill and I often kid each other and say we need to move to AZ to do better
on 160.

       This might be a long message but I appreciate the efforts of the 3B9C
team.
It is great that they operate all through the night, and every night unless a
storm - much better than some expeditions that get to 160m on their last day
for a few hours when conditions may not be the best.  We might not work 3B9C
on 160m but it won't be their fault if we don't.  Thanks to their team.

       73, Bob W7LR in MT.