Topband: Long Path Direction!

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Sat Apr 3 13:42:51 EST 2004

   I don't think we worked anything on 160m that was "long path" (by which I mean a great circle route of over 20,000 km) while at
3B9C.  I feel pretty certain we did work some skew path, but can't prove it.

   When KA6W was worked we used the NW/SE bi-directional (unterminated) beverage (alias "Eu/NA"), which would imply a long path.
But actually this antenna happened to be used for receiving during the QSO because:

a) the static level on it was much lower than on the NE/SW "JA" bi-directional beverage.  It was our sunset, and the JA beverage
pointed into the darkness and therefore picked up a lot more propagated thunderstorm static than the NW/SE antenna, which was mostly
pointing towards the sunny side of the terminator.  We probably picked up KA6W's signal on some minor lobe or off the side.  The
beverage is about 400 ft long.

b) I was trying each receive antenna and the transmit antenna in turn while tuning around the announced listening frequency.  KA6W
happened to transmit at the time that I was switched over to the NW/SE beverage, and was audible enough for a QSO.  I didn't want to
take the time to try other receiving antennas because the opening time was going to be very brief (few minutes).  KA6W later sent me
a message saying the 3B9C signal was audible for just 2-3 minutes.

   Similarly, when N7UA was worked, I happened to be listening on the other NE/SW beverage... which would be the one more or less in
the direction of a short-path signal.

   Bottom line: there may be reasons other than direction of signal arrival that allow a signal to be better copy on one receiving
antenna rather than another.

-- Eric K3NA

Re: [Fwd: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]
from [John Kaufmann] [Permanent Link][Original]