Topband: BOG

Paul DeWitte K9OT k9ot at mhtc.net
Fri Apr 9 10:18:21 EDT 2004

A few weeks ago I had a post about BOG.
I laid out a BOG that is around 800-850 feet long. It is bare aluminum
electric fence wire. Since I use electric fences I have a surplus of this
wire. That is the reason for its use.
I also have an above ground beverage about 550 feet long. It is supported in
a couple of places with 10 foot PVC pipe and sags in between. It is
terminated and matched with a 9-1 transformer. The BOG is not terminated but
is fed with an identical transformer.
They run very close to the same direction. Maybe 10 degrees different. Both
north east.
I had been asked ny several that read my original post to report how the BOG
worked.

Last weekend I worked the 3B9C on both 80m and 160m. I had to use the above
ground beverage to hear them. It has more noise on it but they were not even
readable on the BOG. I would not have known they were there using the BOG.
On 80m they were very good copy s4-s5. On 160 s4 to down in the noise and
back up again continuiously.
Maybe if I had used insulated wire for the BOG it would have worked better
(after a rain it heard nothing at all). Also the sheep keep breaking it and
dragging it around.

I had heard from several that they use BOG and they work very well.

Sorry for the long post 73 Paul K9OT