Topband: TRANSCEIVER WITH SEPERATE RECEIVER?

GALE STEWARD k3nd at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 09:47:32 EDT 2004

This topic came up over the weekend during a
discussion with my brother-in-law, W2DRW. Back in
recent history, some of the guys on topband (as well
as some DXer's in general) used a seperate receiver
alongside their transceiver with whatever
antenna/audio switching scheme they liked. We wondered
if anyone still does this today. I imagine that if
anyone DOES do this, they would be using a modified
Drake receiver or a Kenwood R-820 as most of the other
receivers didn't have 160 on them. I can't imagine
anyone using a 75A4 alongside a modern transceiver,
but who knows? My guess is that the last few
generations of transceiver had the performance at
least equal to, but likely better than any receiver
from the days of the "seperates". An R4C with all the
critical mods might still be pretty high on the
performance ladder.

What say?

73, Stew K3ND