Topband: [Fwd: RE: YA8G]

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sun Apr 18 13:49:03 EDT 2004

Several stations including VE1ZZ worked YA8G last night during the short
period after his city power came on. He will be on at 0015  on 1814.3
and QSX up on 1.816  until his local sunrise which gives a 30 to 45
minute window of opportunity.  Johnny has a great web site with on line
logs which can be accessed by putting YA8G in your search.  Johhny talks
about also getting on earlier by mentioning 0430 his local time.  I am
not sure what this equates to in GMT but could mean a couple of hours
earlier.  If I recall the former Taliban government created their own
solar time zone. (It was noon when the sun was directly over the mosque
in Kabul.) I don't know if this has been changed or not.

Last night the best path for me was not NE (direct path) but rather ESE
which may indicate some sort of terminator skewing near his sunrise.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Herb,

Please see the extract from my log (adif-format) this morning:

<call:5>KV4FZ<qso_date:8:d>20040418<time_on:6>004216
<band:4>160M<mode:2>CW<rst_sent:3>559

So you got into my top band log as #4 from NA !! I tried to start around
0015UTC,
but didn't have city power until 0030UTC. Just try to imagine the
frustration when
you sit and wait for the local guys to turn on the big button :-)

I'm not able to get up 0430 local time every morning (have a job to take
care of),
but will do my best.

73 es CUL,
Johnny - YA8G