Topband: mode separation...small stn dx oppty

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Tue Apr 20 21:36:06 EDT 2004

> From: Jim Jarvis
>
> A system of multiple TX and listening windows, with enforced split
> for weak signal work is the only way to make this sane.  "The" window,
> as presently constituted, doesn't work well.

Jim,

You are correct ... however, we can not protect any narrowband mode
CW, PSK or another yet to be discovered mode from the wideband "I
don't care ... I'll operate any place my license allows" attitude.

A regulatory fence at 1840 was a minimal regulation solution to a
situation which obviously needed help.

The division between narrow and wide bandwidth modes on 80/75 meters
hasn't prevented anyone from working SSB DX on that band if they had
the appropriate license class ... even though some countries do not
allow operation above 3700 KHz.  Quite frankly, I can't see any valid
reason for treating 160 differently than all of the rest of the HF
and low VHF bands.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK