Topband: receive antenna farm: Land contour question

Scott Johns petvet at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 21 20:42:29 EDT 2004

My new farm has a 25 acre flat area on the north end and a 25 acre
"bowl" on the south end.  The bowl was cut by the glaciers.  The east
ridge of the bowl is 60ft above the centered bottom.  The south and west
ridges of the bowl are 90 ft above the centered bottom, and the north
side of the bowl is 30 feet above the centered bottom then gentle forms
a plane which eases onto the 25 acre flat area. Land continues flat to
the east, north and west of the flat area. East to west the bowl is 1800
feet wide. The slopes are gentle.

I'm wondering if there is any use even placing any receive antennas in
the 25 acre bowl?  Will the ridges be detrimental in the sense that they
"block" incoming lower angle radiation from the desired directions?

Alternatively, I remember reading about W7RM's "beach verticals", where
he placed verticals facing JA with an ocean cliff behind them
effectively attenuating QRM from the US stations behind the cliff.

Would you... A). not put any receive antennas in the bowl?  B). use the
bowl in it's entirety placing very long beverages (up to 1800ft) within
it?  or C1) place east facing beverages or SVA's on the west side of the
bowl and (C2) place west facing beverages or SVA's on the east side of
the bowl? Or D). something else??

73, Scott W3TX

All outgoing e-mails checked by Norton Antivirus