Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

CHARLES HUTTON charlesh3 at msn.com
Fri Aug 20 19:10:22 EDT 2004

This is often not true, but depends on the particular cases.

Any tilting of the wavefront induces voltage in a Beverage, regardless of
whether the tilt is caused by the incoming wavefront being received at an
angle due to ionospheric reflection or whether ground losses cause the tilt.

Your elevation arrival angle might be anywhere from a few degrees to dozens
of degrees. The wave tilt (using either Zenneck's formula or Litva and Rook)
depends greatly on the soil type at 1.8 mHz. Examples:

conductivity = .001, dielectric constant = 3 (fertile "average")
tilt = 18 degrees
conductivity = .002, dielectric constant = 10 (dry, sandy)
tilt =  12 degrees
conductivity = .01, dielectric constant = 30 (moist)
tilt =  5.5 degrees

I'd say that given "average" elevation angles for DX, you should treat both
arrival elevation angle and tilt from ground loss as being roughly equal
factors.

Chuck

>From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji at contesting.com>
>To: "Ford Peterson" <ford at cmgate.com>, <topband at contesting.com>
>Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
>Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:51:35 -0400
>
>Hi Ford,
>
>CLIP

>Second, if it did work to crate a low resistance path the
>effect would only be to make the antenna stop working.
>Beverages depend on ground losses to function.

CLIP