Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

Nick Hall-Patch nhp at ieee.org
Tue Aug 24 00:18:13 EDT 2004

At 07:51 PM 20/08/2005, Tom Rauch wrote:

>It seems to me that I've seen some discussion about running
>a wire on the ground along the length of a beverage to
>connect the grounds between the feedpoint and the
>termination.  Is this true?>>>
>
>I can't think of a single logical reason in the world to do
>that. IMO, it is a very poor suggestion.
>
>First, the resistance of that connection would be very high
>because of soil losses.

Observations done here 8 and 15 years ago using a 600m Beverage on the MW
broadcast band seem to verify the above statement.  Even though the DC
resistance of the wire is naturally very low,  it was found that the
"counterpoise" lying on the ground underneath the antenna, and connecting
the ground rod at the far end of the Beverage with the ground rod at the
receiver end's matching transformer, in fact, was acting like a "Beverage
on Ground", rather than a short circuit between ground rods.  That is,  it
delivered a signal to the grounded side of the matching transformer.    The
result was that signal strengths often were stronger from transmitters
broadside to the antenna (10 dB or so), the occasional solid nulls on
signals from the back of the antenna were degraded, and little increase in
signal strength from signals from the far end of the antenna were observed.

Those of us who performed this experiment stopped using "counterpoises"
from that point forward, unless we used them as antennas in their own right.

best wishes,

Nick
VE7DXR