Topband: Electric Fence

Patrick A. Thompson Sr. wa4tukhr at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 10:37:34 EDT 2004

There are AC types that won't have the periodic pop.  I recently
"electrified" a metal bird feeder because the raccoons were raiding it
nightly.  If there is no leakage then the line is RF quiet.  With any
leakage the hash is continuous just like a power line leak.  Since you
control the maintenance of the fence you might want to consider the AC
type.  The one I bought was a "FiShock" brand.  Internally it is a
simple transformer with two separate bobbins with the secondary at
1.2kv. It makes a pretty nasty looking arc if taken across the output
terminals but is supposedly humane.

Their catalog is available from their web site at
http://www.fishock.com/.  They are located here in Knoxville but I have
no connection to them.

I bought mine from Home Depot.

Pat