Topband: Info from VK9XG

George Taft w8uvz at voyager.net
Thu Dec 2 10:59:07 EST 2004

Charlie send news re the latest QRV on top band:

I was not on last night except right at my sunset.  Had to go out for
dinner
and too tired to ham so I missed the first night since I have been
here.
Salt caused a major flashover on the antenna this morning so I could
not
effectively work EU.  Hence I had to wait until daylight to figure out
what
was wrong and then fix the salt trace between antenna and ground.  It
really
ate into the fiberglass insulator but got it fixed.  This is another
reason
I cannot move far as the bandwidth is still narrow.

Also he notes that he is gg to try to stick to 1826.5 for the immediate
future.  Conflict with DU for the 1828.5 QRG, I suspect.

>From my recollection of condx on VK9 in 99, the noise comes up very
rapidly after SS - thus the difficulty hearing the callers in NA.  EU
should go better as a reverse situation occurs with the nearness to
SR.  I found that the tx antenna was most useful near VK9 SR.

Charlie will continue on with low bands until his departure on Dec
9th.  Murphy has caused some problems but he still has the rig and amp
doing okay.

GL

73  George  W8UVZ
--