Topband: HS72 and VK9X via south path

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 3 09:24:15 EST 2004

W8JI wrote:

Great south path opening today. I wonder what was up with
that?

         The sunrise SSW and sunset SSE long paths are more the norm rather
than unusual for stations like HS72B (359 degree bearing) over Magnetic
North.  This is how I've almost always worked stations on the other side
of Magnetic North from both Colorado and here in NC.  It is more unusual
for these signals to come direct although that does happen on those rare
occasions when the geomagnetic field is extremely quiet and absorption
is low enough to allow it.

         I added HS72B to my webpage of long path plots here:

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/dx_aid_plots.htm (bottom in sunrise list)

...and a brief recording here:

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/topband_sounds.htm (3rd one down)

         What was REALLY unusual to me was HS72B coming in on 160 so far
past sunrise yesterday.  It seems like that has been quite common the
past week or so on both 80 and 160.  On 80, 9N7BCC was best nearly 30
minutes after his sunrise, VK9XG the same well after my sunrise, and
of course HS72B on Topband yesterday.

         Let's hope today's "norm" repeats for the rest of Robin and
Dietmar's stay in Bangkok.  Sure is a pleasure to have some dedicated
Topbanders on the other side of these very difficult paths!  Good
luck to all and get that SSW Beverage up if you don't have one!

                                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV