Topband: Non-optimum antennas

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Dec 6 19:37:58 EST 2004

> call, when he was barely audible here.  Question is, why?
I would welcome
> any speculations about why this crazy arrangement works at
all, much less
> why it seems to work fairly well, as well as any thoughts
for
> improvement.  Or should I just put out more radials, and
then relax and
> enjoy it?

Why ask why?

I was happy as a pig in slop with my 200ft tower until
Spratly Island couldn't hear me. Then it was time for a four
square. After calling Charlie and Robin and not being heard,
I thought it was time for 5dB more gain.

I have great confidence that no matter how well you think
your antenna works, someday you will decide it is not good
enough. That's what makes antennas fun.

73 Tom