Topband: HS72B

Earl W Cunningham k6se at juno.com
Wed Dec 8 12:08:33 EST 2004

Milt, N5IA wrote:

"...suddenly at 1356 there the signal was coming up out of the noise and
heard only on the ZL direction antenna."

and:

"...at 1402 HS72B was a true 559 on the ZL antenna and heard weakly
towards the west with the VK3/KH6 and VK6 antennas."

and

"Sunrise at my location was 1415. ...At 1418 the signal was considerably
better on the JA antenna."
==========
At my QTH in So. Calif., on 6 Dec I began hearing HS72B weakly at about
1430Z.  He was only heard on my NW/SE bidirectional pattern and not on my
SW unidirectional pattern (no Beverages here -- just my transmit 2-el
phased array).

My sunrise was at 1446Z, when his signal finally was solid copy from the
NW.  QSO'd him at 1454Z when he was 579 using the NW pattern.  He
remained strong at least until 1500Z.  I was amazed at his signal
strength this much after my sunrise.

On the other hand, XZ1N back in Nov 1998 was best from the SW before
sunrise.

73, de Earl, K6SE