Topband: Topband operations by the upcoming Peter I Dxpedition...3Y0X

MAllphin at aol.com MAllphin at aol.com
Thu Dec 16 15:40:51 EST 2004

Hello fellow 160m enthusiasts,

By now most of you are aware that Peter I Island will be activated in late
January and early February, 2005 by a multinational team of twenty-one men.  The
call sign will be 3YØX.

This will be only the third DXpedition to Peter I and only the second to
offer 160m QSOs.  The 3YØPI Dxpedition in 1994 made a little over 300 QSOs on
topband.  Obviously, this means that most 160m ops today still need Peter I for a
new one.

We are planning a very large operation with eight full-KW stations and a low
power 30m station.  Modes include CW, SSB and various digital options. There
are fifteen antennas in the inventory and many spares. On 160m we will be
running full power to a heavy-duty version of the  Battle Creek Special antenna
(the very same antenna that produced 1250 QSOs from VKØIR in 1997.) The BCS will
be dedicated to 160m.  Additionally, we are planning at least one 3el wire
beam on the ice and maybe more.

There will be five experienced topband operators fighting each other to have
the opportunity to put you in the log.  Myself (K4UEE), Pertti OH2PM, Eric
K3NA, Andy UA3AB and Alan K5AB.

I'm writing to encourage you to look at our website http://www.peterone.com/
and begin to share our excitement.   If you like what you see and feel, please
consider supporting the team with a generous contribution toward our
expenses.  They are quite large!

Thanks and CU in the pileups from 3YØX!

73, Bob
K4UEE