Topband: Hazards of HV-Caps for gammas

John Ackley john at kp2a.vi
Fri Dec 17 04:42:58 EST 2004

I've always used vacuum capacitors but talking about fire hazards:  I
shunt feed a 180 foot tower on 160 and used PVC pipe for standoff
insulators every few feet up the tower.  One night when calling CQ, out
the shack window I noticed someone calling CQ lighting up the country
side with brilliant flashes of light.  Of course, it was my PVC
"insulators" that had carbonized and made a spectacular display when the
key was down!  Moral: PVC is not a good insulator.  I switched to large
glass insulators.