Topband: FT-240-77 Toroid Impedance R + jX Components

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 11:47:00 EST 2004

Jim (and/or others):

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Ferrite_Data/Ferrite.htm

Help me understand how this translates to a practical
use at the feedpoint of a receiving antenna.

I want to provide a common-mode choke at the feedpoint of
a Beverage or flag/pennant receiving antenna fed with
RG-6 or RG-8X feed line for 1.8 and 3.5 MHz. Power is
not a consideration.

I've been winding 10-15 turns of the feedline through an
Amidon FT240-77 (2.4-inch #77 material) core. From Mike's
data, the large number of turns is providing a large -jX
component, in addition to the large resistive component.

For a common-mode choke, would I be better off:
   1) decreasing the number of turns; or
   2) Using a toroid of a different material; or
   3) Eliminating the toroid completely.
   4) Doing something else altogether.

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND