Topband: Today's "HEARD" report

Larry Emery k1uo at prexar.com
Tue Feb 3 07:36:08 EST 2004

Looks like the 28 day cycle is coming around right on time..

This morning seemed to be a wash until about 25 minutes from local
sunrise.  With the Aurora a little hotter this AM than yesterday,
signals from the NW toward Asia were nonexistant and are nearly
impossible at this QTH anyhow.    Obvious the signals were being
skewed and arriving here again from directly West.

It all started with Saka JA1HQT breaking through around the 11:30Z
time but readability never seemed to get above 339 here when listening
to his QSO with Tom, W8JI.

Next came Bob 9V1GO for about a 10 minute opening and some readibility
for the first time in the AM here.  Signals again never much above
339-449 range.

Then at 11:47Z , about 5 minutes before local sunrise, I heard NO2R at
XU7ACY call CQ and was Q5 the entire time!  Had about a 1 minute
opening to XU peaking at 529 before he was quickly a mere whisper.
ZL1HY called him at that time and "HY" was a good 569.

I listened for VR2KW on 1828 but never did hear a peep from that area.

BTW:  I was torturing myself listening to this without an operational
amplifier!  I topped off the morning embarrasing myself by calling the
4V200YH Haiti station with what I believe to be an ERP of 10 watts on
80 meter SSB!  All in all a great start to the day!