Topband: Another European Opening Last Night

Dick and Adele Bingham binghamstehekin at starband.net
Tue Feb 3 12:55:17 EST 2004

Greetings All

Well, last Sunday-night drove the nail in the barefoot IC-756PRO QRP-coffin
for me!

0537 8A1DX 330 --------------\
0542 DL5RBW 329=>429    \  all heard on a Half-Square w/top-wire at 90-ft
and
0555 DF2PY 439                /  148-ft East-sloping end-wires. One end-wire
is Hi-Z fed
0608 VE3OSZ -----------------/    against a single ground-rod (a 3'x8' plate
soon to be added)

I have started looking around for an old low power (<5KW) AM transmitter to
mod for
160. Without the modulator section, the RF-deck could become a robust rig at
1.5KW.

Would such a project be more expensive/trouble than it is worth? Should I,
instead, spend
$$$ on a new modern 160-meter 2KW amplifier? I do have a SB-220 worthy of
mods.

Thoughts/comments appreciated...

73 - Dick/w7wkr