Topband: BDR redux

Sinisa Hristov shristov at ptt.yu
Thu Feb 5 16:38:16 EST 2004

Bill Tippett wrote:

> AGC Threshold is the most unusual aspect of Orion
> since we've never had anything like it before.

We've been enjoying "AGC Treshold" for many decades,
although we didn't use the name until the recent
marketing breakthroughs :-)

AGC threshold determines the point above which AGC loop
is operational (closed). On "usual" receivers, RG GAIN
control can be used to superimpose DC control voltage
(and move S meter) making AGC loop inoperative for signals
that do not move S meter anymore. This is a very effective
technique for signal levels comparable to noise level.
There is an Inrad flyer recommending its use on FT1000MP.

Unfortunately, Orions RF GAIN control is just that,
a gain control unrelated to AGC loop. Therefore, Orion
users are actually *** handicapped ***, having to activate
menus and then select and change the clumsy "AGC Threshold"
setting, instead of simply turning a knob counter-clockwise
as on less modern receivers.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN