Topband: Strange conditions Sunday night (Monday too)

Robert Marshall-Read rmread at starhub.com
Tue Feb 10 08:45:43 EST 2004

Eric,

The oval was smaller overnight and NL7Z popped up out of the noise about
1620Z while I was calling Ken N6KB (KH6) on sked.  First KL7 from here and
the first for three years overall.  Europe was strong at their sunset (my
midnight) which is also unusual.

Over the past few weeks of improved conditions it appears that there are two
mechanisms at work, at least here at the equator.

The outgoing signal from my vertical seems to hit a duct and fall into
Europe long before the reciprocal path opens up.  When it does, I hear
better on a horizontal low dipole than on the transmit sloper by an S unit
or more.  This would indicate the incoming signals are "falling straight
down" rather than coming in at low angle.  I have noticed this since I put
up the horizontal receive antenna, but it has been more pronounced the past
few weeks.

Even JA which is just down the road shows similar incoming propagation, they
hear me before I can hear them.  To the NE USA the only way to hear anyone
on LP is on the horizontal, even though at or just after my SR the vertical
sloper is just as quiet.  Again, I think the signals just fall down onto my
roof.

Many times I hear JA working NA and the Caribbean and passing out good
reports with nothing heard here at all.  The same for D4, EA9, YI9, and
other locations that the JA's hear and I can't.

By the way, 3,500 Q's, 76 DXCC worked from 9V and counting.

73

Bob 9V1GO

This email is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not view, disseminate, use or copy this email. Kindly
notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.

Please visit our website at www.starhub.com